Thursday, January 28, 2010

Echocardiogram Check-Up

The insurer for my medical insurance has increased the premium with a heavy loading, an additional 30% on top of the annual premium due to the voluntary disclosure 2 years ago when I took up the medical insurance as an added protection. I have disclosed in the insurance proposal form for having a small VSD (ventricular septal defect), or generally known as the hole in the heart. The defect is a small hole (0.7cm in diameter) below aorta valve, diagnosed in one of the medical check-up during the school days. The defect does not cause any issue, nor any operation required as I guess it is a tiny hole.

It was rather annoying as the insurance company started charging insurance loading 2 years after the insurance were in force and before the annual premium is renewed for the 3rd year. (Frankly speaking I would say the insurance company is seeking additional protection for themselves rather than for the customer like me, who has been the loyal customers for more than 15 years).

I attended an Echocardiogram check-up yesterday in our the Sunway Medical Centre to obtain the latest medical report to support for the request for reduction of insurance loading. This is my third visit for the similar purpose in the last 10 years. I was overwhelmed with the courteous customer service at the counters as well as the medical practitioners met. A comfortable gown was arranged for the patient for wearing during the Echocardiogram check-up is one of the improvement seen, as compared with my previous visits. Another point to mention is the fees charged for the check-up have not increased much when compared to the similar check-up 10 years ago.

The services in private medical centres generally have improved thanks to the booming medical tourism industry in Malaysia. Malaysia is among the world’s top five medical tourism destinations for medical tourists and foreign investors. Malaysia came in third behind Panama and Brazil, and was followed by Costa Rica and India. The industry brought in large volume of patients in the last couple of years. In 2006, the revenue earned is approximately USD59 million or RM203.66 million.

2 comments:

  1. I experienced almost a similar issue when I disclosed that I have VSD to the insurance company for my new company. How much did the ECHO cost in Sunway Medical Center? I need to do a check-up just to prove that I am "fully-recovered" according to the policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes kindly let us know how much does a echocardiogram cost. I am considering one for my mom. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete