Friday, January 29, 2010

In the Mood of 1Q84


Novel has always not my cup of tea for reading in the last few years as I guess I am lacking now the kind of mood as well as the senses required for appreciating the novel. The latest release of "1Q84" from the Haruki Murakami, the most celebrated contemporary novelist in Japan, is certainly one of the few exceptions for me.

It comes in 2 volumes with many readers believe that more volumes to be released in future. The book was published in Japan mid last year and has sold for more than a million copies. It was reported that the English version will only be available in Sept 2011, definitely a long wait for the fans eagerly awaiting the release. I read the mandarin-translated version from Taiwan, published recently in Nov 09. The translated version is certainly also a big hit among the local Chinese readers as well.

There are different interpretations for the title of the book whichever you choose to believe. The 1Q84 stands for 1984, a reference to George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four (I have not read before but now included in my to-read list). The Q can also refer to the Questions or doubts. The story is fantastic and imaginative with each chapter dedicated to the tale of one of the two main characters - Aomame (青豆) and Tengo (天吾), who are in the memory of each other since the age of 10, and both are searching for each other for 20 years. The story shifts back and forth in between the 2 main characters, seems in isolation and yet so close, and finally it interlinks in the second volume. Despite this arrangement, the story is amazing and it keeps the readers' interests to keep on reading to find out their fates, love and of course a bit of sex scenes (I like the portion of the story in between Tengo and his elderly married girlfriend) and a few murders scenes in between etc. An interesting observation is the occupation for Tengo's father which is unheard of for me. He worked for NHK going door-to-door collecting the network's reception fee. I guess such occupation no longer exist now. We used to have television license fee in Malaysia in my teenage time, which is abolished long time back in 1999.

I read a couple of chapters in my leisure before the bedtime and it took about 3 weeks to complete the two volumes. I certainly looking forward to the future volumes, if any to be published.

No comments:

Post a Comment